We invite your school to enter the 2022 Competition.
For your school:
- to reward student excellence
- to promote interest in geography in your school
- to get detailed feedback on your students’ performance
- to receive recognition, with prizes given to the top school in each State and combined Territories, and the top 10 schools in Australia announced
- for a month’s free access to Education Perfect’s geography content after the Competition.
For your students:
- to practice geographical skills
- to receive printed certificates and results for their portfolios
- to compete for prizes given to the highest-performing geography students in each State and combined Territories in each Year level
- for Year 11 students, the chance to be selected for Geography’s Big Week Out and the International Geography Olympiad.
What is the Competition format?
The 2022 Competition will be delivered online using the Education Perfect platform. Students have 35 minutes to answer multiple-choice and cloze questions, based on the content of the Australian Curriculum: Geography. The questions test both geographical knowledge and skills. Questions will be similar to questions in the previous print-based Competitions.
Who can enter?
The Competition is school-based and designed for students in Years 7 to 12. Schools may enter younger students if they wish and those students will be graded with Year 7 students. Only students enrolled in geography, or an integrated humanities or social sciences subject that includes geography, are eligible for prizes.
Teachers of vision-impaired students and Schools of Distance Education should contact the Competition Office to discuss any special requirements.
How do I enter my school?
- Publicise the Competition with promotional posters mailed to schools in late January, or download from early January.
- Enter by 7 March using the online form. Late entries may be accepted; please contact the Competition Office for advice.
- Make payment of $4.00 entry fee per student. There is no charge to access Education Perfect for the Competition.
Can I change our entry?
If a school wishes to increase or decrease the number of students entered, or to withdraw its entry, you must notify the Competition Office via email by 10.00 am Tuesday 8 March 2022. If required, a refund will be made, less a $30.00 handling fee. No refund will be given if notification is received after this time.
|Entry deadline||Mon 28 Feb|
|Deadline for changes to entry||Tues 8 Mar|
|Receive instructions for registering online by:||Mon 14 Mar|
|Register students online by:||Mon 21 Mar|
|Competition in schools||Thurs 24 Mar – Wed 6 Apr|
|Prize-winners notified||mid May|
|Results returned||late May|
|Geography’s Big Week Out||Sun 3 – Thurs 7 Jul|
|International Geography Olympiad||Mon 11 – Mon 18 Jul|
The highest-scoring geography student in each Year level in Australia, in each State and in the combined Territories (ACT, NT and the External Territories) receive a book prize and award certificate. First in Australia also receives a medal.
Two high-scoring Year 11 geography students who are between the ages of 15 and 18 on 30 June 2022 in each State and the combined Territories each win a place at Geography’s Big Week Out. Two other high-scoring students from across Australia are also awarded this prize. Tied students may be separated using further assessment.
A book voucher and framed certificate are awarded to the top school in Australia, each State and the combined Territories (ACT, NT and the External Territories), based on the scores of the school’s best 5 students from each of Years 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.
Geography’s Big Week Out
The 2022 Geography’s Big Week Out will be held in Darwin and surrounds from Sunday 3 July to Thursday 7 July, jointly hosted by the Geography and History Teachers Association NT and the Geography Teachers’ Association of Queensland. The event is a series of geography activities, with an emphasis on fieldwork, designed to challenge and extend high-performing Year 11 students. Costs (airfares, accommodation, meals and activities) of participation in the Big Week Out are met by the Australian Geography Competition.
International Geography Olympiad
The four members of Australia’s team to the 2023 International Geography Olympiad in Bandung, Indonesia, will be selected from Year 11 students based on students’ performances during the 2022 Big Week Out. Australia’s team to the 2022 Olympiad in Paris – pandemic allowing – comes from the 2021 Big Week Out students.
The FAQs contain more specific information on the Competition. Teachers, particularly those new to the Competition, are encouraged to read the FAQs. More detailed information is also available in the Terms and Conditions. Please contact the Competition office with further questions.
The Australian Geography Competition is an initiative of the Royal Geographical Society of Queensland and the Australian Geography Teachers’ Association. Thanks to our sponsors, the University of Melbourne and the University of New South Wales. Geography’s Big Week Out and Australia’s participation in the International Geography Olympiads are also supported by the Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment.